Saturday, May 28, 2011

Couponing Part 1 (Not for the Extremist) ;)

Here's my beef with extreme couponing. Its unrealistic. The TLC show is fun to watch, but it is not real every day life. Those shopping trips have taken weeks of preparation to do. Remember...this is all for the cameras. Most couponers do their couponing on a much smaller scale. I really one woman broke down how many hours she devotes to each part of her extreme couponing. I started wondering when she spent time with her kids, husband or friends? You don't want to be so extreme that other areas of you life fall away. Remember what is most important. We coupon to have a better life...not to have no life at all.

First rule: You will never get every deal, nor do you need every deal. Just because you can get shampoo this week for .22 cents...does not mean you need to get it. Especially if you already have 10 bottles in your linen closest. Couponers need to know when to walk away. Do not consume your house with items. There shouldn't be stacks of cans underneath your kid's bed. I mean to each his own, but you are seriously interested in couponing...you can go the normal route or the extreme route.

I personally devote about 10 hours a week to couponing. Sometimes a little more depending on what sales are going on. Like right before Memorial Day we know that meats, condiments and buns are going on sale.

So if you are a total coupon newbie, please stop and take a breath. You will be overwhelmed by all the coupon sites, blogs, advice and more. Google extreme couponing and you might have a small panic attack.

I am not an extremist. But I do find awesome deals, and I do shop smartly. Here's how...

First, you want to understand that most deals do not work unless an item is on sale and you have a manufacturer coupon for it. Or if you have a manufacturer coupon and an in-store coupon. So let's say Charmin Toilet Paper is on sale. The 6 Big Roll pack for $4.00. And you also have a coupon for $1.50 off any Charmin toilet paper. Total price paid will be $2.50 (plus app. taxes of course.)

Another example. Your store has an in-ad coupon (found in the store weekly circular or something online) for Pine Sol $1.99. And you have a manufacturer coupon for $.55 cents off Pine Sol. Well then your price paid drops down to $1.44. BUT WAIT!! If your store doubles coupons...then your price paid actually drops to $0.88 cents!

Many stores double coupons up to .99 cents. My local Giant, Safeway and Harris Teeter do. On occasion, the store has triple coupon days (totally awesome.) When a store doubles, that means any coupon you have under .99 cents will be doubled. So your savings double. It took me a bit to master this. To know which stores do what. Every store and every region is different. You should look up your local store's coupon policy online...or better yet just give them a call for the most up to date answer.

The best coupons are in your Sunday paper for the most part. I know many couponers buy 30 or more papers per week, but I think that wastes a lot of paper and takes a lot of money away from their overall savings. I get 1-2 papers each week. I then take the kids on walks and bike rides. Along the way I stop at one of the 20+ recycle bins throughout my neighborhood and grab discarded coupon inserts. Its actually fun. An adventure. You never know what you will find. Many offices have recycle bins as well. Some people even volunteer at their local recycling plant. Or a fun idea is to get coupon buddies. I advertise on craigslist and got several of them. We send an envelope out each week to one another full of coupons we don't need. It's a win win.

I store my coupons in a binder by category. Some people do it by expiration date. Some use a coupon organizer they carry around. And really it doesn't matter how you sort and store your coupons, as long as you do it the best way that works for you. For tips on how to create an awesome coupon binder, check out The Krazy Coupon lady. I love her.
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2010/09/24/how-to-start-your-coupon-binder-this-ones-for-you-kathie-lee/

But like I said...find a way that works for you. I went through a few different methods of couponing before I master what works for me.

On Sundays, I usually spend about 2 hours clipping coupons. If you kids are old enough to help, ask them. Or have your significant other or best girl friends. Get together for wine and a movie. Clip while you chat. Or have the kids read a book to you while you clip. There are ways to get clipping done without missing out on family time.

Mondays during lunch, I usually organize my coupons. I have a sandwich at my desk and get to work on my coupons. I save money, because I don't go out for lunch. I am not missing any key time with family or friends. Plus its usually pretty quiet around my office at lunch time. I can concentrate and get a lot done.

Throughout the week I plan, and I also keep a lookout for any online coupons. Most sites allow you to print 2 coupons per computer.

I usually get my shopping down late in the week. I have a Walgreens & CVS right near my job, so sometimes I go over during lunch or right after work and snag the great deals. And I try to do one big grocery shopping trip a month. Then each week I only have smaller trips to make. I usually stop on Friday as I head home.

The point is not to make couponing your life. I don't go to every store. My top 4 are usually Walgreens, CVS, Giant and Safeway. I get amazing deals. I find Target gets too complicated. And even with sale price and coupons, often their items are still priced way out of my budget. I also go to Wal-Mart when I can. But its harder to plan since most prices and deals are not advertised.

So, grab the paper this weekend. Check out http://www.coupons.com/ for great printable coupons. And get an organization system down that works for you. Then we will move on to Part 2 of Couponing :)